Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Petra Metal Queen- cd cover design photo collage

I'm hoping body armor comes back into style- because this girl looks awesome. This style of fashion is both functional and nicely designed. This artist is a heavy metal rock musician from the UK who wanted to convey an image of her self on the cd cover that reflected her musical persona. Every now and then a design project comes along in which the client has a very specific image in mind and it's up to me to visually replicate that idea. I worked on this design job for over a month. It took longer than I expected but it also turned out better than i expected. The client basically gave me a photo of her face and I came up with the rest of the body and background. I used photoshop to compose this piece out of a collection of photos. It's not as noticeable now, but the figure pictured above is made up of 5 or 7 different humans, including arms, neck, ears, face, breast, legs, etc.. they're all body part photos taken from different humans. I felt like a mad scientist. Design-wise these kinds of projects are difficult because you're asked to combine a bunch of elements and make them look like one cohesive piece. I started by working in grayscale (this helps make all the elements look the same because they're only black and white) I then tailored all the body parts to fit the correct size and lighting, after this I added color and overlaid textures and filters to make it one happy design.