Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Walter Payton roundhouse poster illustration art: Nobody's guaranteed tomorrow

"Nobody's guaranteed tomorrow" is the caption that goes along with this poster art. I drew this piece using an 18x24 Strathmore drawing sheet and a few graphite pencils. Walter Payton is my favorite football player of all time, not only because he played for Chicago, but because he played with so much heart- you have to admire that. Unfortunately his life ended prematurely, but his legacy will live on forever. When I was a teenager I met him while working as a busboy at the Walter Payton Roundhouse restaurant in Aurora, IL- he didn't approach me with the traditional "how you doing?" and a handshake, no- he started rough housing and boxing with me. As it was happening I was thinking, I'm boxing with a football legend- I better take a dive!

The illustration depicts Walter Payton looking down upon the Walter Payton's Roundhouse Complex - back when it used to be a train station.