Thursday, June 24, 2010

Aurora Illinois paddle sports festival logo graphic design

The Aurora, Illinois paddlesports committee approached me with the goal of revamping their 2010 promotional graphics. They host an annual paddle sports weekend in Illinois, and this year they were holding it in my home town Aurora, IL. They wanted a graphic that could work in various facets including poster art, logo, t-shirt graphic, favicon, and more. They needed this design finished fast and within a budget, so I dedicated a weekend to completing the art in time for them to send to the local newspapers and I constructed the best fitting project parameters to fit their budget. Another difficulty was that they wanted the design to be simplistic but they also wanted it to embody multiple concepts: fun, educational, and both canoes and kayaks had to be incorporated. That's a lot of concept to fit into a simplistic graphic. I started by sketching out a few ideas and presenting them various ideas- once they narrowed it down to their favorite designs- I polished them up by adding color and sharpening the lines. Once I created a final draft the client fell in love with the design- then it was just a matter of refining it and making a few minor revisions. The paddlesports graphics received rave reviews and the event was a great success. Below is an additional design concept I created that wasn't used but I thought came out pretty nice.